Monday 6 July 2009

The Swedish EU-Council presidency (2): Am I dreaming?

Not one week in office, and this Swedish EU-Council presidency manages to impress me more than the previous presidency did in six month.

Or have you ever seen a video interview with the presidency's ambassador after a COREPER-meeting...?

I think I am dreaming - and I will have to dig for negative news around the Swedish presidency in order not to make this blog become a pro-institutional PR instrument.

But Sweden, please, continue in this transparency direction - and make sure that everyone after you will keep this alive!

(via Anda on Twitter)

2 comments:

rose22 said...

It's an interesting idea, and I'd love to believe it'll make EU processes more accessible to more than just a tiny EU-literate audience.
Would be interested to see what a COREPER I interview would sound like though, given the incredibly technical nature of the issues discussed.

Ralf Grahn said...

Julien,

The start of the Swedish Council Presidency is the best I can remember with regard to information and openness.

At the same time we have a new European Parliament; the Lisbon Treaty is hanging in the balance and if it enters into force, it will need a number of implementing decisions; the financial and economic crisis is ongoing; the new Commission should be nominated; the climate deal is still open...

These six months are going to be really demanding, even without sudden crises.