Monday 16 November 2009

Campaign For A Gender-Balanced Commission


Gender balance is not just a matter of women fighting for women, it is a matter for all of us to work together to get politics that represent the full human diversity instead of just promoting old white males.


On Friday, I called for a European Blog Action in case the next Commission would not be gender-balanced.

Over the weekend, Jon Worth, together with others, has set up a campaign for a gender-balanced Commission, that I am thus supporting with great pleasure.

As usual, Jon doesn't just talk, he acts.

And since we are not just fighting for an abstract number of women in the next Commission, you will also find a list of possible candidates from all 27 member states on the website - and feel free to propose more qualified but politically realistic women candidates. The more we have, the easier it will be to address MEPs and national governments on this issue.

Please go to the website and sign the petition - and let's thus not wait until it is too late to get a new European Commission with at least one more woman than last time!

1 comments:

Slartibartfas said...

I have read your comment on the Austrian newspaper derStandard, but I knew your blog already before. Let me just point out that I welcome the fact that this paper seems to have decided to finally get an EU blog on its own. If I am not mistaken its the first such blog of an Austrian paper. Its also interesting to see that it has been discovered by some others already.

Anyway, back to your campaign, I am surprised about the quite high profile backing of the principal aim. I think its a legitimate demand, even though I would think the abilities of a person should be more important than their sex. On the other side, it has to be said, that ability wise, we would have to have a lot more female candidates currently.