Wednesday 18 February 2009

European Parliament elections 2009 (51): EU Commissioner Danuta Hübner fights Libertas

Yeehaa!

EU Commissioner Hübner, who will be running for the EP elections for an EPP member party from Poland (while considering herself as a liberal democrat), has announced to fight the eurosceptic "Libertas" party.

That is what I want to hear: Clear European positions and a real political debate about the European Union! I am looking forward to Ms Hübern's campaign.

In fact, I met her shortly in 2007, and although we were in quite a rush (I was dealing with the protocol during a conference and bringing her to the conference room), she was asking questions that seemed really interested in what was going on behind the scenes of our work. Calm, open and very friendly - she left a good impression on me.

I hope that during her campaign she we will use these attributes to convince voters that its worth voting for the EP elections and that voices like Libertas express legitimate positions but offer the wrong answers to some right and some wrong questions!

------------------------------
Under the category "European parliament elections 2009" I am following up national and European activities on the path to the European Parliament elections 2009.

For an overview over all articles in this category have a look at the overview article.

For the five newest post see also the sidebar.

4 comments:

Ralf Grahn said...

Julien,

You made Danuta Hübner sound like a good choice for the European Parliament for voters able to vote for her.

But being against something - even a political movement as contradictory as Libertas - is only the first step.

Hübner with her experience will surely see that a candidate needs a positive message and a blueprint for the next five years.

Julien Frisch said...

No, I did not want to present her as a good alternative to vote for (in fact, this will in the end be a Polish matter), I wanted to present her as somebody with a high profile taking up a pro-European campaign that clearly looks at the European level politics by attacking a pan-European movement instead of referring to national politics.

The rest meant her personal attributes, which I could just measure through a very short meeting over a year ago. That should not be enough to make somebody electable...

But you are right, I should formulate more accurate not to sound like a political supporter. :-)

Jon Worth said...

I'm surprised that you think highly of Hübner. I reckon she's dull and has been rather anonymous as regional affairs commissioner.

I don't think she has anything interesting to say in general.

Julien Frisch said...

Please don't overestimate my evaluation... But at least my overly positive account creates some discussion. :-)